Luftwaffe Junkers Ju 87 G-2 Stuka 'Tankbuster' Relic Display

Aviation history that you can touch! 

The Luftwaffe's Junkers Ju 87 was initially designed as a dive bomber, and first flew in 1935. It made its combat debut in 1937, in the Spanish Civil War. The 'Stuka' proved to be a formidable weapon in the opening phase of World War II, but proved to be easy prey for Allied fighters, and was vulnerable to anti-aircraft fire. Later in the war, Hans-Ulrich Rudel, a ‘Stuka’ ace, suggested using two 37 mm Flak 18 guns, each one in a self-contained under-wing gun pod, after achieving success against Soviet tanks with the 20 mm cannon of his Ju 87. Two 37 mm cannons were mounted in under-wing gun pods, each loaded with two six-round magazines of armor-piercing tungsten carbide-cored ammunition. With those weapons, the Kanonenvogel ("cannon-bird"), or 'G' series of the Ju 87, proved very successful in the hands of daring pilots such as Rudel. By then, however, the tide of war had turned against Germany.

The remains of this 'G-2' were discovered outside of Kiev, Ukraine in 1997. Various well-preserved, but fragmented, pieces of the aircraft were recovered, with a large section of upper-wing skin with excellent paint, being acquired by Ron Cole in 2017. 

These displays are shipped ready-to-hang, with new (as of July 2020), very high quality, black frames. The artwork measures 11x17-inches and the overall size is 13x19-inches. 

Signed and numbered, one of fifty. 

 

 



Next Previous

Related Items