Northrop YB-49 'Flying Wing' Aircraft Aluminum Relic Display

Extremely rare Northrop YB-49 'Flying Wing' aluminum aircraft fragment relic display by Ron Cole. 
.
The Northrop YB-49 was a prototype jet-powered heavy bomber developed by Northrop Corporation shortly after World War II for service with the U.S. Air Force. The YB-49 featured a flying wing design and was a turbojet-powered development of the earlier, piston-engined Northrop XB-35 and YB-35. The two YB-49s actually built were both converted YB-35 test aircraft.
 
The YB-49 never entered production, being passed over in favor of the more conventional Convair B-36 piston-driven design. Design work performed in the development of the YB-35 and YB-49 nonetheless proved to be valuable to Northrop decades later in the eventual development of the B-2 stealth bomber, which entered service in the early 1990s.
This aircraft, serial number 42-102368, the only YB-49 ever lost in flight, crashed near Muroc, California while conducting stall tests on June 5, 1948. Most of its wreckage was removed from the site and scrapped, but these small pieces were later recovered and preserved. Today the crash site is visited often, but only bits of melted aluminum remain. 
.
This display measures 8.5 x 11 inches, and is framed and ready to hang. The YB-49 aluminum fragment is roughly 1.5 x 1 inches. 
.
Signed and numbered - only one of 12. 
.
.


Next Previous

Related Items